Worcester County Food Bank employs a professional staff of 19 people. They are our greatest asset.
WCFB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, or religion or other legally protected status.
STATUS: Part-Time, Non-Exempt, Grant-funded
Worcester County Food Bank (WCFB) believes that food is a fundamental right of all people and that hunger is an issue of social justice. WCFB’s mission is to engage, educate, and lead Worcester County in creating a hunger-free community. To that end, WCFB annually collects over 6 million pounds of perishable and non-perishable food and distributes it through a network of 128 Partner Agencies, including food pantries and community meal programs, trains Partner Agencies in food safety, and advocates for systemic and sustainable solutions to support children, families, and senior citizens in being more food secure and healthy.
The Worcester Regional Food Hub is a collaborative effort between the Regional Environmental Council of Central Massachusetts (REC), the Worcester Regional Chamber of Commerce, and WCFB made possible by the generous support of the Health Foundation of Central Massachusetts. The Food Hub fuses these partner organizations’ respective missions to collectively build healthy, sustainable, and just communities.
This Operations Associate position will have primary responsibility for fulfilling the day-to-day fresh produce pickup and delivery activities of the Food Hub.
This position is part-time and the work schedule will be variable as the demands of the role increase or decrease according to the growing season. We anticipate that the schedule will be approximately 10 hours per week to start, increasing to approximately 20-22 hours during the busiest season June through November. This position is grant-funded; currently, funding is secured for the Calendar Year of 2017.
- Operate refrigerated box truck to pick up and deliver food; follow daily pickup and delivery instruction from Warehouse and Facilities Manager; follow all WCFB and Food Hub policies and procedures related to truck operation and food handling; complete timely and accurate records of food pickup and delivery; maintain truck log book; perform truck inspections; report any truck maintenance issues to Warehouse and Facilities Manager.
- Safely operate and maintain warehouse equipment, including forklift and pallet jack, reporting any issues to the Warehouse and Facilities Manager.
- Follow all WCFB and Food Hub policies and procedures related to all aspects of food handling.
- Maintain temperature, sanitation, and other logs required per WCFB policies and procedures and by outside agencies, reporting any issues to the Warehouse and Facilities Manager.
- Perform quality control check of food.
- Participate in inventory related tasks.
- Conduct oneself in accordance with the positive image of WCFB and the Food Hub with all vendors, staff, volunteers, donors, and visitors.
- Perform occasional tasks as assigned by the Warehouse and Facilities Manager, which may include:
- Act as back-up and perform required duties in the event of the absence of other Operations Associates, as assigned by the Warehouse Manager
- Facility maintenance duties
- Count, stack, store, and tag donated product; rotate stock on floor, freezer and cooler
- Complete timely and accurate records of product donations and agencies receiving product
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Warehouse and Facilities Manager, or as required to fulfill the operational needs of the Food Hub.
- Commitment to WCFB’s mission
- Warehouse and driving experience preferred, but not required
- Must meet MA Department of Transportation physical exam requirements, have a valid MA license, and possess and maintain a safe driving record. Position does not require Commercial Driver’s License
- Forklift and ServSafe Food Safety certification (training provided by WCFB)
- Effective organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Basic computer skills required
- Ability to work on feet for long periods and to lift 50 pounds required
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Operations Associate”. No phone calls, please.