Breakfast After the Bell (S.2626) is up for a vote in the Senate this Thursday. Please call your senators now and ask for their support for decreasing hunger by increasing access to school meals programs. Tell them to vote in favor of Breakfast After the Bell.
Need some talking points? A script? See below.
Breakfast After the Bell – July 2018 Talking Points from Rise and Shine Massachusetts
• 1 in 8 kids in Massachusetts lives in a food-insecure household.
• Nearly 300,000 kids in low-income schools are eligible for free and reduced-price breakfast, but only half participate. Students face barriers to access, including stigma, late buses, and busy morning schedules.
• Kids who are hungry can’t concentrate. They miss more class time due to absences and nurse visits, and have lower test scores. We should make sure every student has the nutrition they need to succeed.
• Nearly 650 high-poverty schools would be required to expand breakfast service models after the bell because of this legislation (nearly 200 schools are already operating a Breakfast After the Bell program).
• Massachusetts schools are leaving up to $30 million in federal reimbursements on the table by not maximizing school breakfast participation.
• Capitalizing on this federal revenue stream creates new full and part-time school nutrition jobs.
• The legislation ensures that every child in the Commonwealth begins their day fed and ready to learn.
• S.2441 bill “An Act Regarding Breakfast After the Bell,” is going to the Senate floor for a vote on Thursday.
• We have until July 31, 2018, to pass S.2626 before this formal legislative session ends.
Hello Senator ______ / STAFFER NAME,
My name is [YOUR NAME] and I am a constituent from [TOWN]. I am contacting you today about Breakfast After the Bell legislation, S.2626, as it is going to the Senate floor for a vote this Thursday.
In Massachusetts, 1 out of 8 kids is at risk of hunger. This legislation could help change that. The time to pass this bill is now, before the end of formal legislative session.
[IF COMFORTABLE FOR YOU, SHARE A PERSONAL EXPERIENCE OF HUNGER OR DISCUSS HOW BREAKFAST DOES/WOULD BENEFIT A CHILD OR CHILDREN YOU KNOW.]
By you supporting this bill, you show support for children, who will be better positioned to start every school day fed and ready to learn.
Thank you for your time.