Here’s a handy script for calling your reps today about Breakfast After the Bell. Use and share.
Hello Representative ______ / STAFFER NAME,
My name is [YOUR NAME], and I am a constituent from [TOWN]. I am contacting you today about Breakfast After the Bell legislation, S.2626, which is pending review by the House Committee on Ways and Means.
In Massachusetts, 1 out of 8 kids is at risk of hunger. This legislation could help change that. The time to pass this bill is now. Our children are our future and they cannot afford to wait any longer.
[If you feel comfortable, share a personal story about how this bill could impact children you know.]
There is overwhelming support for this bill in both chambers and we need the Committee to move on this legislation quickly, so our students can start every school day fed and ready to learn. [If your Representative is on House Ways & Means, ask them to help move this bill favorably out of their committee. If your Representative is not, ask them to vote in favor of the bill when it moves to the House floor, and have them urge Ways & Means members to act on this legislation swiftly.]
Thank you for your time.
Need even more talking points?
• 1 in 8 kids in Massachusetts lives in a food-insecure household.
• Nearly 300,000 kids in low-income schools are eligible for free and reduced-price breakfast, but only half participate. Students face barriers to access, including stigma, late buses, and busy morning schedules.
• Kids who are hungry can’t concentrate. They miss more class time due to absences and nurse visits, and have lower test scores. We should make sure every student has the nutrition they need to succeed.
• Nearly 650 high-poverty schools would be required to expand breakfast service models after the bell because of this legislation (nearly 200 schools are already operating a Breakfast After the Bell program).
• Massachusetts schools are leaving up to $30 million in federal reimbursements on the table by not maximizing school breakfast participation.
• Capitalizing on this federal revenue stream creates new full and part-time school nutrition jobs.
• The legislation ensures that every child in the Commonwealth begins their day fed and ready to learn.
• We have until July 31, 2018, to pass this bill before this formal legislative session ends.